Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yogurt

I have been thinking about making my own yogurt for some time now and I've been looking for a really easy recipe.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know that recipes get easier than yogurt, but many require thermometers and whatnot, and I wanted something with no equipment required.

I found a method in which one can make yogurt in a crockpot!

I found it at A Year of Crockpotting and you can see it below.

Ingredients/Supplies:

  • 8 cups (half-gallon) of whole milk
  • 1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt
  • thick bath towel
  • crockpot
Directions:
  • Plug in your crockpot and turn to low.
  • Add an entire half gallon of milk.
  • Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
  • Unplug your crockpot.
  • Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
  • When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.
  • Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.
  • In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened---it's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.
  • Blend in batches with your favorite fruit.
Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days.
Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

0 comments: